Thursday, August 12, 2010

First Day in Thies, Senegal

So I’m here and I’m safe. The flight was fine and we had no complications during travel. We got in around 5am and already it was STEAMY hot and proceeded to get even warmer once the sun came up. We came straight to the training center in Thies and passed some pretty amazing, odd, and depressing things along the way. The training center is pretty darn cool, we’re staying in bunked huts for a few days until they place us with host families.  I haven’t slept much, we took a 2 hour nap after we got here and went straight into training stuff. I just finished dancing up a storm to some amazing drumming. There are a bunch of local nationals that work in the training center and apparently they like to drum and dance when they’re done with work. It’s pretty hysterical to see all of us trying to dance with them, but I think I’ll get better since it’s only the first day!! It’s already pretty overwhelming with the amount of stuff we’ll be doing, and I wish my French was better, I find myself drawing blanks and staring at people when they ask me questions. Haha.
Yikes there is so much to tell you guys already and I've been here for less than 24 hours. But I don't have time to because we have dinner in like 10 minutes. Lunch was amazing by the way!!! We ate out of large metal bowls off the floor with spoons. (Found out after lunch that yes, it is taboo to eat with your left hand. So we'll see how I do with the right tonight). We had rice and carrots, onions, tomatoes, raisins and beef. It was spicy, but completely delicious. OH and Ramadan starts on Friday, like this Friday, which will be very interesting. I may just partake in the fasting if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment