Friday, August 13, 2010

Survival Wolof

The official language in Senegal is French, which on average, most people can speak. But that doesn't mean that everyone speaks French. There are numerous native African languages spoken in Senegal alone. The most widely spoken of these is Wolof. All of us in this peace corps group will eventually be learning different African languages for our site placements, but today, we were given a "survival Wolof" lesson that will help us in the city of Thies. I'm going to show you guys a few, along with the pronunciation (at least what I think works as the pronunciation guide).

Asala Maalekum  (asahlah maleekuum)    Hello, main greeting
                            answer:
Maalekum Salaam   (maleekuum salahm)   Recipricate the greeting

Nanga def?     (Nongah def)      How are you doing?
               answer:
Maangi firekk.     (mongee fearekk)        I am fine (this is always the answer)

Naka waa kerga?   (naka wah kergah)    How is the family?
            answer:
Nunga fa.             (noongah fah)         They are fine (this is always the answer as well)

There are accents in these, but I have yet to figure out how to make them.

 Disclaimer:  I also want to say that whatever I post on my blog is not the view of the Peace Corps, Peace Corps administration or the U.S. as a whole.  Just my personal experiences here in Senegal.

No comments:

Post a Comment